Robert, who has been practicing law in South Florida for more than 25 years, founded TorricellaLaw to pursue a practice that allowed for more personal service to the firm’s clients, while providing a family environment to its lawyers and staff. Based upon the recommendation of peers in the industry, Martindale Hubbell has rated him AV Preeminent® for his work in aviation, business, construction defect, general liability, products liability, professional liability, premises liability and real estate litigation. During his career, he has litigated matters arising from both domestic and foreign incidents, including serving in oversight and intermediary roles liaising with foreign counsel handling criminal and civil investigations, as well as related civil litigation in matters that ultimately may be pursued in courts in the United States. He is best known for his representation of ExcelAire and its pilots in the aftermath of the 2006 crash of GOL Airlines Flight 1907. Robert was inducted as a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, an honorary society of trial lawyers. He is a married father of two and he and his family are active in the South Florida community, particularly in charities focused on children with autism and other special needs and their families.
- Represented a charter operator and its pilots in connection with their response to a foreign air crash, including directing the retention of and liaising with foreign legal counsel in managing the legal response to the accident, participating in the management of the response to and involvement in civil and criminal accident investigations, direction of media and public relations efforts and oversight of security issues.
- Represented aircraft owner and lessor through appeal in litigation arising from a flag carrier’s breach of multiple aircraft lease and related commercial agreements, securing a multimillion dollar judgment, along with interim relief involving the freezing of bank accounts and post-judgment relief, including garnishment of bank accounts.
- Represented a commercial lender in connection with its litigation and management efforts concerning a portfolio of commercial loans and assets.
- Successfully secured the repossession of two transport category aircraft and nine jet aircraft engines following a cargo carrier’s defaults under several aircraft and engine lease agreements, obtaining an ex parte order of repossession and seizing the aircraft and engines at Miami International Airport.
- Defended a product manufacturer and its employee in connection with an industrial accident in Brazil, including oversight of the legal response to claims presented in the courts of Brazil and litigation of wrongful death, personal injury and business damage claims filed in the United States.
- Represented ground handler in litigation concerning multiple wrongful deaths following an air crash involving an air carrier operating in the Caribbean.
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale Hubbell, constituting a peer ranking at the highest level of professional excellence
- Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America
- Named a South Florida’s “Up and Comer” in the 2003 edition of the South Florida Legal Guide
- Recognized as among “America’s Most Honored Professionals 2016 – Top 1%” by The American Registry
“American Pilots Were at Correct Altitude Over Brazil, Lawyer Says”
“Pilots in Brazil Crash Return Home”
“Report: Tower Error Led to Plane Crash”
“U.S. Pilots Can’t Leave Brazil Two Months After Crash”
“Lawyer Points Finger at Brazilian Air Traffic Controllers”
“Big cargo airline at MIA could have five planes repossessed”
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- United States Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- University of Miami (B.B.A., 1988)
- University of Miami School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1991)
- The Florida Bar, Member
- The American Bar Association, Member
- Cuban American Bar Association, Member
- Dade County Bar Association, Member
- Coral Gables Bar Association, Member
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- Aviation Insurance Association, Member
- Greater Miami Aviation Association, Member